Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I’m still here

Life is crazy indeed. Tonight is my first “night off” since the end of February.  But since I’m going to the Devils game to see Martin Brodeur win his 552nd career game to become the NHL’s winning-est goaltender ever, it’s not even a “night off”.  Wednesday will be the first night off.  Couple my back to back pit musicals with the lingering sickness, which I’m glad to say is gone, I have barely touched the gym, my bike, swimming, or running.  I’ve slowly been getting back on track. 

Friday night I got myself to the NYSC close by school (prior to opening night) just before the 4pm “peak time” cutoff.  This meant an hour of strength training before a spin class at 5pm.  My 4pm-5pm hour consisted of the following:

Woodchopper up and downs 60 lbs, 10 reps/side, 2 sets
Cable Crossover 50 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
Squat row 100 lbs, 15 reps, 2 sets
Explosive squat jump into plank, Mountain Climb each side. 45 seconds, 2 sets
Medicine ball juggle b/w legs (Not sure of the real name of this, I’ve just seen people doing it at the gym and it looks like fun.)
Snow angels
Plank

I rarely go to this gym, so when I take a spin class I’m taking a chance.  One of the guidance counselors in my school goes regularly, so I asked her for any dirt on the 5pm spin instructor.  She said he was good with good music.  Works for me.  I get there and it’s a late 20-something tall blonde.  Definitely not Mike.  She led a good class.  Brought back some 90’s songs to make me feel like I was in high school.  I hit 90% HR for about four different 30 second segments.  She did a lot of up and down 4 count crap which irritates me.  I dealt.  Overall it was 56:50 of spin at an average HR of 157.  That did include about the first 10ish minutes of spinning only at about 140, so the class average was probably a little higher. 

With the beautiful weather on Saturday I had hopped to go for a ride, but laundry called, along with sleeping late.  Then show two Saturday night. 

Sunday morning I did my normal spin class.  It was great.  I don’t have my time/HR on me now, still stored in my HRM at home, but during one sprint I was pushed close to 95% for a short segment.  It felt kind of insane, but in a good way. 

I’m just glad my cold is gone and am starting to feel better.  Maybe now I can get myself back on track. Luckily it’s spring break from grad school!  No rushing to class after teaching! 

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Ooo the music is the BEST part of spin class! I have trouble signing up for stuff like that, cause I can't commit to any one day in the week. I just never know what my work schedule will be.

And sleeping late? A perfectly good excuse for not working out (like me today).

Chloe said...

Glad you are feeling better! I'm still trying to bring myself to go to a spin class.......

Spring break...ugh. They are all down here on the beach!!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I was happy to see Martin Brodeur get the record - well deserved.

Sleeping in? What's that?

The Tri Runner said...

You got that right about Spin Class. It can be a real gamble on the type of music & workout. However the workout can suck as longer as the music is good.