Saturday, March 7, 2009

Rough two weeks

For the past two weeks I've been on and off sick. Sore throat, headache, runny nose. They come and go for anywhere from a few hours to a day. Finally this week they all seemed to collide. Wednesday night I was out at a rehearsal, came home 9ish and crashed. At 3am I woke up with a bad sore throat and throbbing in my left ear. Thought to myself, "not going to school tomorrow". At 6am I woke up, called into the sub service and emailed off some lessons to the school secretary. Luckily this week is state testing week. So I only had two classes to teach. Easy plans to make up.

After sleeping late I get to the doctor and get some good drugs. After explaining my symptoms over the last two weeks he says, yea probably strep. So I'm on 10 days of amoxicillin and 3 days of prednisone, apparently steroids help reduce swelling and lessen the intensity of strep. Can I consider that a performance enhancing drug? Oh wait, wrong kind of steroid.

Luckily the amox and prednisone seem to be pretty fast acting. My throat is feeling better already and I just feel a little worn. The weather is BEAUTIFUL today in NJ so I decided to go for an easy 10ish mile bike ride. I felt myself getting winded rather quickly, not surprising. Did the 10 miles in about 45 minutes. The rest of the afternoon I'm chillaxin on the couch, finish up a "Tudors" DVD from Netflix, then pit orchestra night 2 of 3 tonight.

Tomorrow it's brunch with the family for the 'rents BDays (which just past). Then pit orchestra performance 3 of 3 in the afternoon. I'm not sure if I'll get out for any sort of athletic endeavor.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

that crap has been going around, glad you're starting to feel better!

teacherwoman said...

That crap has been going around... and it's horrible. Hope you are 100% soon!

Nat said...

Hope you feel better! I am jealous of your weather!

Runner Leana said...

Er...um...despite the throbbing in the ear I feel the same way. Crap...hope I don't have strep, and I hope you are feeling better!