Friday, March 20, 2009

Warm weather

Yesterday was not only my first run in close to three weeks, but my first run of 2009 in shorts and a TShirt!  Perhaps it’s time to retire the tights?  Yesterday it was close to 70 degrees, today’s forecast is 50 and rain, boo hoo!  I was aiming for 5 miles, but wimped out and only made it 3.25.  After deciding to shorten it I thought I was only cutting it down to 4, once I GMaps’ed it, I discovered it was a little too much off the top.  Oh well!  I finished in 30:02.  My HRM was acting funky, it didn’t pickup my HR until a mile or so in.  I think I wasn’t sweaty enough to start out.  Then about 2 miles in dropped from the 160’s to 80’s.  Pretty sure my heart didn’t actually do that.  When/if it was working properly I was around the low 160’s for the bulk of the run.  For the last 800 yards or so I decided to kick it up and pushed it into the 180’s, that was fun. 

This morning definitely felt like I haven’t run in a while.  I had my famous recovery socks on, so my calves are fine, hamstrings and glutes are a little sore though.  Today I was hoping to get a bike ride in, but I’m not sure if the rain will hold out.  If there’s rain I guess I’ll just end up at the gym. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh boohoo 50 degrees. Sounds like great workout weather to me!! :)

Good job on the shortened run. Looks like it's time to get back on the workout wagon.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I tried for a time to use a HR monitor for my training. It gave me so many funky readings, I could never sort out what any of it meant. It was too much of a distraction, so I stopped using one and rely on perceived effort and pace instead.