Saturday, March 20, 2010

Celebratory Dinner

So tonight I did my duty and prepared dinner for my girlfriend in celebration of her winning the weight loss challenge.  I decided to document each course in photos. Enjoy!

First up is roasted elephant garlic.  Three VERY large cloves of elephant garlic, some olive oil, a bit of salt, pepper, and oregano.  Bake at 350 for an hour and it turns to mush.  Spread it on some bread.


Here's the bread.  


Here's the garlic post-cooking.  It really did turn into a paste and wasn't a super strong garlic flavor.  Although you could tell it was garlic.


French Onion soup.  Instead of sauteing the onion in a frying pan with butter, as the recipe calls for, I decided to bake it at 350 for 15 minutes with a wee bit of olive oil.  Beef broth (didn't make that from scratch), some pepper, and two tablespoons of flour, simmer for about 30 minutes.  The Girl liked it a lot, I thought it was ok.


I made my own croutons for the soup.  Used the same bread as with the garlic spread.  Salt, pepper with a bit of olive oil. Cooked until lightly brown.

Lightly browned croutons pre-soup immersion.


Now the French Onion soup in complete form.  It's a 50/50 mix of swiss and mozzarella.  I always thought it was served with mozzarella cheese, but the recipe called for parmesan and swiss, I decided to use mozzarella and swiss.  


Here are the greens pre-cooking: asparagus and Brussels sprouts.  My mom gets credit for how to prepare these.  Use a little bit of olive oil bake them in an oven for about 15 minutes at 400.  Baking the Brussels sprouts avoids the bitterness that you can get when they are boiled.  I'm not a fan of them prepared either way and I prefer steamed asparagus over baked, but I was doing enough work already, so didn't want to bother preparing asparagus two different ways.  

On a side note I never realized that Brussels sprouts was the name.  I always thought it was Brussel sprouts, but spell check doesn't like that.  I guess they must be named after the city of Brussels? 


Post-cooking.


Here's the main course.  Chicken cordon bleu.  This was surprisingly easy! I bought thin sliced chicken breasts.  Sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper on one side, put a slice of ham and a slice of swiss. Then roll it up and secure with a toothpick.  Sprinkle with some breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes at 350.  Prior to the last 5 minutes sprinkle on the last bit of swiss.

No, we didn't eat all five.  We always make more so there's leftovers.  It didn't quite ooze cheese out. I was hoping for that.  


What was the beverage for the evening?  Well, we're heavy drinkers, I guess.  
SHIRLEY TEMPLES!!!

The last course? Dessert!  Originally the idea was honeydew melon with raspberry sorbet, but when we went shopping saw mini-watermelons so got one of those instead.  So watermelon with raspberry sorbet.  


I hope you enjoyed seeing our meal.  And yes, I made everything, including washing all of the dishes.

4 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Looks soo yummy! What a lucky girl!

Chloe said...

YUM! I'm coming over for dinner!

Kelly said...

Looks delicious!

And what's funny is I own the EXACT same plate that the soup was served on... except I only own one (I have no idea why).

Heidi Austin said...

ooooh my stomach is growling. yum yum thanx for sharing :)