Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kayak and Run

This past weekend the girlfriend and I decided to visit Lake Alice.  It's a lake owned by the university where you can do swimming, canoeing, kayaking, paddle-boats, sailing, hiking, mountain biking and more.  The best part is that it's free for students and a student can bring up to four guests.  We brought a picnic lunch and relaxed on the TINY beach for a little bit, then decided to go kayaking.  It was her first time; I hadn't kayaked in several years.  I decided to bring Jackson*** out on the kayak.  Unfortunately I didn't get the GPS sync right away, that's why we started in the lake.  I don't think I'll be setting any speed records with my kayaking skills. We're definitely planning another trip to the lake soon.




Today I did a 45 minute spin class, felt AWESOME during the entire class, very strong and in control.  I'm getting used to the Florida spin instructors and just learning to deal with it.  After class I went right into a run from the fitness center around the lake filled with alligators, no alligator sightings while on the run though.  Now that things have cooled off and the humidity has dropped the weather is nothing short of amazing! The daily temperatures are in the low to mid 80's.  Over night it's in the low 60's or upper 50's and so far nothing but sun, probably bad for the water supply, but wonderful for doing stuff outside.  


 ***The girlfriend has decided to nickname my new Garmin 310xt.  Since I'm going to run the Jacksonville Half Marathon in December it's nickname is Jackson.  Her thinking is that it'll be something to push me to that goal and afterward something to remember the accomplishment.  She's got lots of good ideas.  :)

No comments: