Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spin and Run

Now that I've got my registration mailed in and considering that $35 is a big commitment for a grad student I'm going to need to some extra motivation to keep on track for the Jacksonville Half Marathon.  Translate that to I may actually update my blog more often.  I'm also going to do my best to include some more pictures and fun stuff like that.  I know I like seeing pictures on blogs, I'm sure all of you do too.

Today I did a 45 minute spin class followed by a 2 mile run.  It's been interesting doing spin classes at a college.  My two previous schools had great fitness centers and pools, but I never took any classes.  Now that I'm a full time student again and have fewer other distractions I've been really good at keeping to a Tuesday/Thursday spin schedule.  Aside from a couple days when I needed to schedule school work I've been true to that schedule.

The most interesting part about the classes is the age difference.  I'm 31, closing in on 32 soon.  But most of the class is made up of 18, 19, 20 year old.  I feel old when the teacher says something like this: "I did a silly dance to this song when I was in the 3rd grade!"  She was talking about Jennifer Lopez "Let's Get Loud".  I was a junior in college.  Old.

Spin classes always seem to have more women than men, but there's only been two classes since I've been here where I was NOT the ONLY guy in the room.  I guess when I was a 18, 19, 20 year old guy I may not have done a spin class either.

Now that I have a Garmin 310XT I'm going to include some pretty pictures.  Here's the run from today! Look at that HUGE hill at mile 1.  It's a Florida hill. 

No comments: