Saturday, January 7, 2012

Getting back on the horse



A new year, new semester, and new set of challenges lie ahead! I just finished what academically was probably my most difficult set of three classes I'll ever take. The good thing about getting a terminal degree is I can say that with pretty good accuracy. I'm not suggesting that the next 1.5 years will be a breeze, but I don't have nearly the same course-load ahead, well except for the whole dissertation thingy. I did manage to pull a 4.0 this semester too. Boo ya! The other good news is that I'm halfway through my program. This time next year I should be well into dissertation writing, applying for, and hopefully interviewing for jobs.

I've resolved myself in this new year to actually try and become a runner. Replacing the bike likely won't happen until a get a real job with a real salary (see above for timeline). So that puts triathlon-ing on hold too. Running requires a lot less of an investment in equipment. That combined with now living in Florida I really have no excuse to not run. Well except for the four months out of the year when it's 90+ degrees every day. If I start now and get into the habit maybe I'll enjoy running in 90 degree weather, right?

Since the new year I've been out running with my dog twice. It's been a while since I've done any sort of steady running, but I know I could hold around a 9:00/mile pace without too much difficulty; the dog makes that a problem. She likes to sniff. I don't have any plans to ditch her because it's good to get her exercise as much as possible too. Instead, I am going to approach running, with her in particular, as interval runs. In between her sniffing/peeing/and pooping we'll both be sprinting. So far it's been a lot of fun, for both of us!

This is what I did today. As I look at the map I see a couple cul-de-sacs that I want to explore on the next run. That and the HS track, probably won't be able to bring the dog to that one. Here's to a 2012 full of running!